NEWS > ENTERTAINMENT > NICOLAS CAGE TAKES PAY CUT TO ENSURE GHOST RIDER 2 GETS MADE
NICOLAS CAGE TAKES PAY CUT TO ENSURE GHOST RIDER 2 GETS MADE
November 2 2010
Hollywood, CA – There was a time when Nicolas Cage was one of the most respected actors in Hollywood. From a family of Tinsel Town legends, it seemed almost his birthright to be a major player in the history of the town and for the first few
years of his life, it appeared that would be the case. Eccentric performances in movies like ‘Peggy Sue Got Married’ and ‘Moonstruck’ culminated in an acclaimed and award winning performance in ‘Leaving Las Vegas’.
With new found fame and glory, Cage had the movie industry at his feet and instead of going in the direction everyone expected, he became a movie star. After that success Cage starred in a slew of action films, some well received, some not so much. Occasionally he starred in smaller movies, projects like ‘Matchstick Men’ and ‘Bringing out the Dead’ but found little success in those areas. More and more Cage has starred in big projects that tend to bring only ire from the same critics that once adored him, and relative indifference from audiences. Nonetheless, Cage has been successful personally, buying dozens of cars and islands and driving himself into bankruptcy with his earnings. Now though Cage appears to be giving back to his art, taking a pay cut to ensure that the upcoming ‘Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance’ will be the absolute best film it can be.
“Sony was having a lot of concerns about the budget of the new Ghost Rider. They were happy with the performance of the first film but were still a little sceptical about its prospects at the original budget which was in the neighbourhood of $135 million,” said a Hollywood insider. “They wanted the budget down, way down, and have gotten it to around $75 million. Most of that savings is from Cage’s salary as well as handful of script changes. Nic really believed in this movie and he wasn’t about to let it go and so he decided to make this personal sacrifice for his craft, despite the personal hardship it may bring.”
Similarly, Cage’s uncle Francis Ford Coppola put millions of his own money into the production of ‘Apocalypse Now’, a move that bankrupted his production company and created a classic of the medium.
“This project is really special to Nic. He has overseen all aspects of the production, nursed it to life despite all kinds of hardship. This salary cut was just the latest of his personal sacrifices to get this project on its feet,” continued the insider. “At this budget Sony is confident that the project will be successful and that is allowing them a little more creative freedom. Obviously the budget limitations are going to cause them some issues, but at least they can now tell the story they want to tell in the way they want to tell it. That’s something really rare in Hollywood.”
The first film in the series earned well over $200 million worldwide but was also expensive to produce.
“The Coppola family has a long tradition in doing this kind of thing. Obviously Francis
has made a huge impact, but Talia Shire, Jason Schwartzman, Sofia Coppola, I mean this family has had a huge impact on the culture and history of motion pictures. For a little while it appeared that Cage had been lost, but it now appears that he has been found,” said Scrape TV Entertainment analyst Tracey Temple. “It’s unlikely that this movie will be at the level of something like ‘Apocalypse Now’ but that would be a tall order for anyone. What it does mean though is that Cage has rededicated himself to his art, and to the legacy his family has created.”
‘Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance’ pits Johnny Blaze against the Devil who is attempting to take human form. The picture will be released sometime next year.
Samantha Dryden, Entertainment Correspondent