NEWS > EVERYONE ELSE > FRENCH GUNMAN’S PLANS TO KILL AGAIN WILL LIKELY HAVE TO BE DELAYED AFTER POLICE SURROUND HOUSE
FRENCH GUNMAN’S PLANS TO KILL AGAIN WILL LIKELY HAVE TO BE DELAYED AFTER POLICE SURROUND HOUSE
March 21 2012
Toulouse, France – The gunman wanted in connection with three separate attacks, including one earlier this week that left three children dead, has been found and is currently in a standoff with French police inside his home. The attacker, Algerian native Mohammed Merah, is believed to in possession of alarge cache of weapons including automatic weapons and grenades.
Merah, 23, was previously an inmate at an Afghan prison before escaping and fleeing to France. He had been under some level of observation since moving to the country, albeit it not the type of observation that would prevent him from acquiring explosives and high powered rifles, or go out multiple times and murder people. It’s not clear for whom that type of observation is reserved.
French police are reportedly surrounding the house, trying to negotiate a peaceful surrender which may be difficult owing in large part to the fact that he is not French. It’s not clear if police will give up in their efforts to secure him, though because of international attention may be forced to stay and try at least for a little while longer.
Two officers who were shot while trying to arrest Merah are said to be resting comfortably, having been given glasses of wine a selection of cheese during the ambulance trip to a local hospital.
“If he's telling the truth, he would have left his house this morning and he would have once again killed any soldier that he came across,” said anti-terror chief Francois Molins who is nowhere near the site but is reportedly watching intently on television as the drama plays out.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy has made it clear that he wants the suspect taken alive, something which may be difficult owing to the fact that he appears insane and has lots of weapons and is unwilling to leave his home.
French officials conducted a nationwide manhunt for the attacker following the shootings on Monday, the first time in years forces have been mobilized to capture a murderer.
“It’s really kind of exciting watching all of this play out. I’m sure the people in the area are just as excited and eager to see whether or not their houses will be on the news. That kind of thing is always exciting, I’ve had it a few times myself,” said Scrape TV International analyst Gustav Hander. “Obviously most people would prefer something like that to happen in less dire circumstances, without all the dead bodies, but it’s still got to be an exciting thing.”
A young girl reported seeing the suspect just yesterday, reporting that he ‘looked scary’. She said it in French, obviously.
“I’m sure something will happen, I’m sure they will do something eventually because something has to change. As exciting as all this is it can’t really go on forever, eventually people will have to sleep and go to the bathroom. That’s just human nature,” continued Hander. “At least they know they’ve got the right guy. He admitted it and said he would kill more if he could. It would have been really embarrassing to get into all of this and have the wrong guy. I guess he isn’t going to kill anyone else, at least not random people anyways, at least not until he gets out of prison in a couple of years.
Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion…
Update: Mehra is dead, jumping from his apartment guns blazing meaning future plans are likely permanently on hold.
Emil Uliya, International Correspondent