ROMNEY CLEARLY NOT COURTING POOR OR PALESTINIAN VOTE FOLLOWING LATEST VIDEO OUTBURST
September 18 2012
Washington, D.C. – Much of the debate over Mitt Romney, not just in the Democrat-Republican race bit within the Republican Party itself, has been about his fitness as a candidate. That fitness is not related to his viewpoints on any particular subject, views which are always going to be up for debate, but whether or not he is able to express those views in a sensible and political manner.
Putting aside his ability or lack thereof to govern, the first job Mitt Romney had to perfect was that of a politician, something he has clearly failed at in almost every single opportunity, something even the most strident of supporter would have difficulty in arguing against.
That doesn’t mean, of course, that he would be a bad President but he does need an ability to speak to people and not offend mass sections of the populace if he ever wants a shot at that job. Unfortunately for Romney, he did just that, offending about half the population of the country in fact by calling them poor and lazy during a speech at a private fundraiser, making it pretty clear that he wasn’t courting their votes. Romney also went off on Palestinians, saying they don’t want peace, but luckily for him they don’t vote in the general election.
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it,” said Romney at the fundraiser, then going on to address the Palestinian issue. “Pushing Israel to give up territory for a two-state solutioni s the worst idea in the world.”
Romney kind of apologized for the comments which were caught on video.
Romney has been accused from time to time of being an old rich white guy completely out of touch with people and the video is unlikely to change that view of him.
“It’s really rare to see a politician on this scale say thing that he or she really thinks and that unto itself is actually kind of refreshing. Unfortunately for Romney the things he actually thinks are completely out of touch with the nation and the world and just kind of jerkish,” said Scrape TV Political analyst Gabriel Kinsey. “First, the 47 percent people comment. There are a lot of people out of work and he is campaigning as the man to put them back to work and now he is just calling them all lazy hangers-ons which is really not going to endear him to them in anyway. They want someone who understand their issues and will fight for them not a President who calls them lazy, at least I assume that’s what they want. That would make sense.”
47 percent is of course nearly half the voting population of the nation and is a lot of people.
“The Palestinian issue, well, I mean he already had no foreign policy cred so that is
unlikely to hurt him. I mean everyone has pretty much agreed that a Palestinian state is the only solution, even his buddy Netanyahu has agreed with that and that guy is a zealot with a real stake in the issue. Palestinians also don’t vote in the election so he is probably safe there,” continued Kinsey. “Unfortunately for him 47 percent of the population does vote and they are going to vote against him, more than likely, now that he has called them slackers and leeches. I mean that still leaves 53 percent of the population that could potentially vote for him provided they don’t think he is an ass as well which is looking pretty unlikely.”
The Obama campaign has been relatively quiet on the issues because, frankly, they don’t really need to say anything at this point.
Edward Bastil, Political Correspondent