NEWS > ENTERTAINMENT > CONAN O’BRIEN DOES AWAY WITH GEORGE LOPEZ FOR GOOD
CONAN O’BRIEN DOES AWAY WITH GEORGE LOPEZ FOR GOOD
August 11 2011
Los Angeles, CA – The craziness that happened last year over late night talk shows may seem like a memory for most people, but for at least one person it has become a living nightmare. George Lopez, the odd man out in that whole controversy, has lost his talk show after a steady run of low ratings following the arrival of Conan O’Brien to the network.
It was just a little less than a year ago when Conan O’Brien started his talk show at TBS, which was the capper and apparent end to the controversy and silliness that occurred when He was unceremoniously booted from his job as host of ‘The Tonight Show’. Moving to TBS was a shock, and a risk, and it would also displace an incumbent, George Lopez.
Lopez himself was excited about the change which saw his show move back an hour but gain a potentially strong lead-in program. However, ratings for both O’Brien and Lopez have been anaemic and dropping steadily, leading to the cancellation of ‘Lopez Tonight’, something O’Brien apparently couldn’t be happier about and something which may have been a part of the plan all along.
“George is crestfallen over the cancellation. It’s not like he needs the money or anything, that’s not the issue. He really felt that this was going to be a great opportunity for both shows, that together they would be able to bring up TBS and
maybe redefine the talk show format. That didn’t happen, obviously,” said a TBS insider. “George’s ratings have not just been soft, they’ve been dead. They are not at a level where we could possibly accommodate another season even by our standards and so he had to go.”
Lopez’s ratings averaged about 400,000 viewers, a 40 per cent drop from Conan’s arrival.
“Conan hasn’t been doing a ton better, but he has been doing better. He is going to stick around for a little while longer, and now that he has a little more room to stretch out we hope that he will do better than he has been,” continued the insider. “I know this is what Conan has wanted all along, even if he didn’t say it publicly. He wanted TBS all for himself from the start but felt it would be bad for appearance if he pushed George out. Now he got what he wanted, exactly as he wanted. It’s good for everyone. Well, not George but hey these things happen.”
There is no indication that Conan plans to expand the length of his show, but he has apparently already started to move supplies into the studio where ‘Lopez Tonight’ was filmed.
“There are a lot of talk shows on TV and TBS is a small network. It was inevitable that at least one of the shows was going to fall and because it was on later, it was obvious that it was going to be Lopez. There’s also the fact that the show wasn’t all that good, but that is really secondary. Look who Conan was replaced by,” said Scrape TV Entertainment analyst Tracey Temple. “It really must be satisfying for O’Brien. He was wronged, his show was taken from him, but now he has been able to get some measure of revenge. True, it isn’t against the person who wronged him but still it must feel good getting what he wants, finally, and doing so by just being himself. Good for Conan.”
Lopez’s show went off the air on Thursday. No word or concern yet on what he will be doing next.
Samantha Dryden, Entertainment Correspondent